Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forum Home > General Discussion > Why is most Steampunk fiction based on British Empire ?

Hi I was wondering why most Steampunk fiction and setting based on British Empire ?, I would like one based on the Holy Roman Empire for one.

August 11, 2015 at 6:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

One of the main reasons is probably that the British Empire was the greatest power of the Victorian era, as well as the centre of the industrial revolution (which provided the image -- steam -- that is emblematic of steampunk's fascination with Victoriana & alternate Victoriana.

Since the Holy Roman Empire ended in Napoleonic times, prior to steam trains and whatnot, it requires a bit more of a leap to envision an alternate history of that empire with Victorian-type technology, but there's no reason one couldn't invent such a scenario for fiction.

Sent from the analytical engine of

August 14, 2015 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon
Actually in an alternate time-line a group led Dankus Quirinius found a way to harness Steam power and built grand war machines and vehicles that enabAble them to defeat all of their enemies (Thus the British Empire never became any more than a group of resistance fighters and the Islanders (whom you would refer to as "Scots" and "Irish") were overtaken with the invention of the Balloon Troops. Of course that was changed when I (leader of the Royal Resistance) developed my Time Tunnel and sabotaged that little scheme. When I returned I expected to be a Hero but all my cohorts were unaware of my activities....since everything in their time-line was erased. Oh well it was fun.

I think, Therefore I am......  I think,.:

August 30, 2015 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.