Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > The Official Edmonton Steampunk Group > What are your must haves?

Elias Maphisto

I was going through my personal effects.

(Some, I added as photo, to the "Whats in your pocket?" album)

You know looking at my maps, checking my compass, filling my latern, and cleaning my googles.

I thought to myself, what do I need for an everyday adventure.

I know for myself I always have to have my pocket watch.

What is everyone else`s must haves.

February 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

I'll let you know when my expedition corset is finished and all accoutrements are attached.  For now, I find my cane and a nice long hat pin are most fetching and good for keeping a lady safe as well.

February 17, 2010 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Elias Maphisto

You never know, I keep at least one flintlock on me, when Im traveling around. Also a nice hat is always says sophistication.

February 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cory Gross

Everyday adventure...?... Well, my pocketwatch, lip balm, pocketknife/keychain with my name on it from the Grand Canyon Railway... if I'm going all explorery, I did learn the theory behind how to use a sextant today. The fun of working at a museum!

February 18, 2010 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Elias Maphisto

Cool Man, Sextant's pretty cool tools.

February 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melissa Wartenberg

My must have without a doubt is a pen.

Not only have I been able to repair some Swiss watches with nothing but a fine tip pen, you can still design, draw, call for help, use it to keep a womans long hair up and (if the pen is fanc) use it as a form of currency!

Its also a handy thing to stab someones eye/chest/throat/foot with in case of an emergency... ^.^

--

~M

www.AtticRaiders.etsy.com/
www.intheattic.ca/
www.AtticRaiders.deviantart.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/64518173@N05/
www.instagram.com/melissawartenberg

December 18, 2010 at 2:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

I like the way you think.  Very creative and practical at the same time!

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

December 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phoenix Artemis Black

I always, ALWAYS have my rings on. No purpose really. Though in my pockets I always have my lip balm, keys, and mobile cellular device. No matter what I am doing or where I am going, I will need those 3 items. Everythjing else varies depending on the plan and destination.

--

The Mistress Of Black Steam

December 18, 2010 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melissa Wartenberg

Rings are awesome! Lip balm was my inspiration behind my poison rings because I was tired of constantly having to carry my balm in my pocket,lol :)

--

~M

www.AtticRaiders.etsy.com/
www.intheattic.ca/
www.AtticRaiders.deviantart.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/64518173@N05/
www.instagram.com/melissawartenberg

December 19, 2010 at 1:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Minerva Li

Rib crackers, Hair falls, jewellery of any and all kinds and my purse which contains all sorts of needed items.

--

The Renfield Trading Company - Serving the Undead Since 2010.  http://www.TheRenfieldTradingCompany.com

http://www.GothicBeauty.com

http://www.DressUpandDuel.com

December 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Necrisha

Seasonal items, lipbalm, eyeglass kit including repair/replacement pieces, sunglasses(snow-blinding is possible just outside Edmonton), wallet, phone, paper, pencil, keys, flashdrive. Oh, and a bit of chocolate/sugar candy.

December 30, 2010 at 6:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Oxonian

I feel best when I have two things on me: Something handmade, and something significantly older than I am. Such things help keep some perspective in an environment that tells us to buy buy buy. I hate buying things new, and can usually be found among piles of buttons and teaspoons at antique/flea markets like a child in a sandbox. 

I always have my handmade leather messenger bag over my shoulder, and I love my 100 yr old, midnight green Prince Albert frock coat. Pocketwatch always, too. And fingerless gloves, mostly because it's too ruddy damp and chilly in England!

December 30, 2010 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Megdelaina

Pen and paper for sketching new ideas, lip balm (an absolute must!!), my googles and hat (ok, not actually in my pocket...). My pockets are generally small so....

December 30, 2010 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vokhev

In every day life, I always carry a swiss army knife. It's a compact way of always having about 10 screwdrivers, 2 knives, pliers, scissors and a few other things handy at all times. I must also admit that I would now be very sad without my smart-phone.

My steampunk garb is still in construction but my biggest problem on that side is actually the lack of pockets. My coat has no pockets and those on my vest are fake. I have some on my pants but they are not especially accessible when I wear the rest of the costume.

But I think one thing I will want to carry around a lot will be my cane (though obviously not in my pockets). It can help give you a more classy look yet can be a good weapon in a pinch ;)

January 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PM

I would submit that no lady or gentleman of sophistication is prepared for all eventualities without carrying a personal seal and a supply of sealing wax. One never knows when an outbreak of hostilities (or cholera) will necessitate the drafting of a will; or, more felicitously, events may demand the penning of an affectionate note to the occupant of an adjoining opera box (such notes, I need hardly say, requiring the security of a personal seal to protect them from prying eyes). And what would be a more useful companion than a copy of Fowler's The King's English, to ensure that all of one's important documents are written in the best form and taste.

--

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Sent from the analytical engine of
www.PaulMarlowe.com

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

January 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CameraShy

Oxonian at December 30, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I feel best when I have two things on me: Something handmade, and something significantly older than I am. Such things help keep some perspective in an environment that tells us to buy buy buy. I hate buying things new, and can usually be found among piles of buttons and teaspoons at antique/flea markets like a child in a sandbox. 

I always have my handmade leather messenger bag over my shoulder, and I love my 100 yr old, midnight green Prince Albert frock coat. Pocketwatch always, too. And fingerless gloves, mostly because it's too ruddy damp and chilly in England!

That's such a wonderful way to remind ourselves not to fall into consumerism!

"Something handmade, and something significantly older than I am."

It's perfect :)

--
July 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Oxonian

Thanks, CS! Now, if only someone wants to share brilliant ideas for keeping the aesthetic in 35+ heat!

July 19, 2011 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

for men I'd wager on an Edwardian regression.  The era had more whites and bright colours, easy to wear a linen or other very breathable gentleman's suit in high heat.  That said, I'd wager women are damned regardless.

--

July 19, 2011 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.