Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > The Time Machine: Hamilton Victorian and Steampunk Society > Introduction thread

Nicoletta

I though that barring any other topic posts, we could set something up for basic introductions for people in the Hamilton area.

My name is Nic and I'm Hamilton born and bred.  I'm fairly new to practicing Steampunk, though I've been interested in it for some time.  I think what drew me to it was the sense of variety and acceptance in the community.  There doesn't seem to be a constant theme of 'Steampunk, UR doing it wrong!' but rather one of cooperation and striving to be one's best.

I'm always up for gatherings and dressing up.  Fashion wise, I love a bit of everything and have previously done cosplay and lolita.  Cheers all.

February 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tatianna

Well, hello all.

I'm technically not from, or in Hamilton (However, I did join the Hamilton facebook group). I am in Waterloo. Originally from the frozen plains of Saskatchewan :), I've been here about a year. My 'look' (or whatever one should call it), has been on a bit of a hiatus of sorts the last twelve months ... or so. But I've been slowly comming out of hiding.

I am looking to get to know some other steampunks in the area, and hopefully I'll be able to make it out to some events in and around Hamilton and Toronto.

--

February 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nicoletta

Hello Tatianna.  I suppose you are to Hamilton, as I am to Toronto.  It always seems like the fun stuff is just an hour or so away.  lol 

March 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Quetzalcoatl

I'm a bit south and East of The Hammer. I'm in St Catharines. I look forward to meeting everyone though.

March 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jha Goh

Hello all! I am not in Hamilton... YET! But I will begin to pursue a Masters in Cultural Studies and Critical Theory this fall at McMaster University. I look forward to meeting more steampunk folks there!

May 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The_Time_Machine

'Gearful greetings' to all who have been kind enough to add to this thread. After considerable difficulties, I have secured the Steamposium in Hamilton for October 16-17, 2010, and here are the new-fangled websites (sorry they are obviously not exactly technologically-advanced, but as a 'one woman band' with a budget of virtually zero, that's the best I can do for now):

www.hamiltonsteampunk.com

http://steamposium.hamiltonsteampunk.com/index.html

Much more is in the works, to add to the lineup of performers & vendors....please keep tunes for frequent updates.

Thanks for your patience with me.

Cheers & gears!,

~ Raychyl

August 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Miss.Genevieve

Hello everyone from downtown Hamilton!

It's wonderful to know that there are steampunk lovers close to home. I just stumbled onto this forum today but I've been a fan for a year or so now. I'd love to get into this lovely world more. Any suggestions on books, movies, or anything really!

Miss G

September 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Eleanor

Good morrow, I am not in Hamilton, but close enough to throw stones if the need should arise in Brantford.  I am new to the steampunk scene, and would love some advice on where to find costume shops in the area that serve our needs. 

Its wonderful to meet you all and hope this will be around for years to come.  Thanks to all who have any suggestions

September 29, 2010 at 12:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Raiffe

Good evening ladies,

My wife Allison and I live in Lynden, now part of the Greater City of Hamilton, so we live about 15-20 minutes from all of you.  :)

As for costume shops, we've had the most luck in Value Villages, although it is a matter of research, luck and persistance. 'Stardust Dancewear & Costumes' in Burlington sells 'Burlesque Hats' (the little top hats favoured by many StP ladies) for about $20 +/- in black, white or red... 'Moore's' (the suit people) sell black top hat sets that include white gloves and canes for $35/set. They should be much better than the cheap costume-grade top hats you see as people wear these ones to their weddings. I also know several local seamstresses who would be more than happy to help you with your garb. They're not free, but they do charge reasonable rates. PM me if you want me to pass on your contact info. If you require any help researching something for your personas or garb please don't hesitate to contact me as I've already done a fair bit for my wife and I might be able to help steer you in the right direction.

There are several online vendors. One I've personally dealt with was the 'Gentleman's Emporium'. They have an excellent selection of Victorian/Edwardian garb and what I've bought from them has been worth the price.

Hope this gets you started,

Raiffe.

--

"I know it's crooked, but it's the only game in town."

-- 'Canada Bill' Jones, legendary nineteenth-century Three-card Monte dealer commenting on a rigged faro game.

September 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alice Sunshine

Hi there everyone!

My real name is Dannielle, but online I'm mostly known as Alice. I'm a resident of Grimsby, but go to school in Hamilton at Mohawk college. I'm not really well versed in the steampunk trend, but have admired it from afar for a while now. I mostly have been trying to get more into it since I went to the steampunk 101 at FanExpo this past summer. I found it extremely interesting and loved what the panel had to say about the fashion and lifestyle.

Any ways, I'm hoping to go to the event in October, and get to know some of you!

September 30, 2010 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

wildwolf
Limited Member

My name is mike and I'm from stoney creek. I'm fairly new to practicing Steampunk, though I've been interested in it for some time.i use to do the war of 1812. I think what drew me to it was the acceptance in the community. There is not a  constant theme of 'Steampunk, or that you are doing it wrong!' but rather one of cooperation and striving to be one's best.

i always like a  gathering and dressing up, be it steampunk or war of 1812, etc......

November 3, 2010 at 12:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

I had meant to respond sooner, sorry for my tardiness, but Hi wildwolf!  Newer member myself, I'm super pleased with the rate I'm seeing folks join.  Can't wait to see what you produce costume wise. 

November 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ZaReid

Good afternoon All,

I am new to the steampunk culture and I'm very excited to belong to anorganization such as this. I'm very interested in designing andconstructing steampunk style objects. Im a hobbies that neededsomething to build and this is my outlet.

--

Zachary Reid

The Ship Builder

November 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Indy

Hi, I just joined the forum, and sort of the Steampunk world in general? I've been creeping Steampunk society for a while now, reading pages on the internet, remarking on the beauty of steampunk inspired crafts, and in general wanting to be part of it but not actually doing anything.

My name is Sam, I'm a student at McMaster going in to my third year. I'm studying math and physics, and all I want ever is to go to work in a corset with a parasol and a monacle. Unfortunately, I work at the university, and I don't know that my fellow physicists would much appreciate the style, and I'm a little too shy to say 'To hell with you, I'll wear what I want'.

Anyway, I'm an avid crafter, so I plan to design mostly my own outfits, so if anyone has any advice or sites I should check out, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Sam

June 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alexander Ulysses Pitt

Hello Everyone. I'm born and raised in Hamilton and just new to steampunk . Still working on a custom and personae. Love building just about anything, especially steampunk.  I have a few creations and mods with, I hope, many more to come.

November 20, 2011 at 7:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.