Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Steampunk Personas

Kelly

I don't have one myself just yet, but I am in the process of creating one. Originally I was just going to be myself, but after fiddling around with different styles of dress I figured that if I had a specific sort of person in mind when I was creating my outfits it would make doing this far easier- and so the idea of having a personna instantly became something that interested me.

So, out of curiosity, who here has a steampunk personna? And tell us a little bit about them, if you'd like :D

March 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Isabel

Of course I have a personna, right down to the calling cards. Problem is I find personna's are like potato chips...can't have just one. Having done historic recreation and historic re-enactment [not the same thing at all] as well as LARP I have a closet of them. Not to mention the ones that I use most frequently......the 21st century office worker and belly dancer teacher.

All joking aside, being someone makes the time spent more enjoyable.

Isable, the tailor's granddaughter

March 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Beboots

Calling cards? Do you mean literal calling cards? If so, why didn't I think of that? It's brilliant! 

And to answer the topic question... I'm slowly working out a character for myself, mostly involving the research into American Civil War medicine that I'm doing for my Honour's thesis... I want my persona to be some sort of travelling steampunk surgeon: complete with a case full of unusual and perhaps alarming instruments, if I can manage it. 

--

I intend to live forever; so far, so good.

March 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

Here is the background story for Countessa Lenora - first posted in May, 2009:

Tale of my Three Deceased Husbands (or how I came to be independently wealthy) By: Countessa Lenora

When I was young and fair I was famous for my talent of reading the future in the cards. I was known then as “The Great Madame Lenora – Seer Extraordinaire”.

I met my first husband when he came to me seeking such a reading. The poor man was lonely and unsure where to find a suitable wife. Quite fortuitously for both of us it was love at first sight and we were wed quickly and privately at the family chapel on his estate. My first husband was his Excellency, the Italian Count Guido Sarducci. Sadly our blissful marriage was only to last a few short years when suddenly my dear Count died in a mysterious boating accident on the Mediterranean. Some say they saw great tentacles drag him to the bottom of the sea. I was, of course, away at the estate and so will never know for sure. My dearest had no other living relatives to which he could leave his vast fortune but for me, and so I inherited his title, lands and finances.

After an appropriate period of mourning, as I was walking my sweet little dog Pepe down the spring time avenues of Paris, I almost literally bumped into my second husband to be, Mr. Hector Williams. A most handsome gentleman who was kind enough to help a poor lost soul find her way back to Le Meurice on rue de Rivoli where I was staying. We had a great length of time walking to the hotel in which to grow fond of each other and that is when I found that Hector was the only heir to his family’s airship dynasty . How fortunate to find that my new gentleman was staying at the very same hotel. After a magical whirlwind courtship we were wed right there in Paris, the epitome of romance. He was a very doting husband and quite special to me. Unluckily, while inspecting the rotary blade mechanism on the newest airship design, my sweet Hector is said to have slipped while the blades were spinning. He fell into the turning blades and was decapitated. As misfortune had recently sent both his parents to the grave in a freak golfing accident involving a goat used to trim the course, the family’s dynasty was left to me.

After so much tragedy during my time in Europe, I decided to explore the Continent and visit Canada. As fate would have it, as I journeyed to Canada on one of my newest airships, I met a most fascinating gentleman by the name of Sir Jonathan McAllister. He was an older gentleman, but bright and generous to a fault. As we chatted he confided in me that he was recently retired. He had been one of the few personal bankers to the royal family in Britain and one of Queen Victoria’s favourites. He had decided it was time to try something new and Canada was the place to go. To thank him for his loyal and brilliant service, the Queen made him a Knight of the Royal Victorian Order and sent him off with a fine pension to keep him and any family in style. Of course he said it had been quite unnecessary since he already had enough fortune to keep him well heeled for many a year and no family with whom to share it. We arrived in a small but upcoming town called Ottawa and it was upon landing there that Jonathan asked me to be his wife. We set up a lovely home and decided to make it our permanent residence. From there we explored the wilds of Canada until the sad day when my dear Jonathan met his fate at the hands of a large and hungry red eyed beast. The guide that was with him said he could swear Jonathan had a scent about him of old meat and honey that must have attracted the beast, but I cannot begin to assume how that could have happened. Once again I was left without a husband, but was left with his fortune and his pension.

March 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nicoletta

Still working on my first one, but I've got a strong idea.  Having done a lot of online role play, I find one of the most interesting things to be the development of the character.

I always use some form of my own name though.  I never have enough focus to use another name.

March 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Isabel

To answer Beboots of course real paper and ink calling cards. Today they are called business cards but you can have them styled/printed anyway you like.  Infact you can pick up the paper and print them off your own computer, or do your own calligraphy, only your imagination is the limit.

Isabel, the tailor's grandchild

March 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Raiffe

My primary persona is a gambler, I've based his appearance and equipment on as much historical authenticity as I can manage and afford right now. What fascinated me with with subject was the absolute inventiveness of the professional gamblers. They would use every trick, every technological innovation to make their living. From clockwork gimmicks to electromagnets, rigged equipment to  weapons hidden in everyday items they seem to have been on the cutting edge of what science and raw nerve had to offer -- pure steampunk! And a historical fact. Of course I might add a few sci-fi touches over time, but with this persona I intend to stay fairly accurate.

I have another under construction, but I'm still assembling the garb and working out the design of my weapon. This persona is steampunk to the core, being based on one of the great characters of the genre, but with a twist inspired by a piece of art I encountered online last year. Some might call him a villain as he is an extremist dedicated to enforcing the 'Pax Britannica' at all costs and eliminates anarchists and pirates whenever he can. By all means submit your course and heading and we can arrange a meeting! ;)

July 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

Raiffe - that is absolutely fabulous!  You are the first gambler I have met.  I applaud your research and dedication.

July 18, 2010 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Raiffe

The initial inspiration came from a desire to offer the group something to do in the time we wait for people to arrive or other quiet moments during an event. I began researching Victorian games, in which I discovered how prevalent gambling was -- even in the home. One book led to another until I read Time Life Books' 'The Gamblers' -- part of their Old West series from the late seventies/eighties. Excellent series and highly recommended. That book described so many of the gamblers cheats and inventions that I was hooked from that point on. Much research later and I'm still only at the tip of the iceberg (gamblers didn't advertise their toys). Very interesting stuff... in spite of the fact that in real life I don't believe in gambling for more than pennies and can't professionally shuffle a deck of cards to save my life (in spite of a lot of recent practice) let alone any slight of hand. Ah well... what is it they say about having to spend 10,000 hours?

July 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Phoenix Artemis Black

I think this is where I differ in my views of steampunkery. From my experience, it is a subculture. As in, a lifestyle. Not a roleplay thing. I see personas akin to someone going to a goth club and saying they are a thousand year old vampire.

It is fun to dress up, especially as an "airship pirate", but i do not have an airship. i am not going to pretend. I have a parasol. i use it when I dress nice on sunny days. I drink my tea from a silver teapot.

Why need a persona? :/

--

The Mistress Of Black Steam

August 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Naiaddy

I totally agree with the above....a persona might be fun for a special event like a murder mystery party, but steampunk is life for me...not one of those weirdo fake lives (like "second life").... i am just me, and as steamy as can be....a fellow parasol toting and tea pot collecting, brass buttoned buccaneer!

September 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Miss.Genevieve

The question of "why need a persona?" warrants an answer of "why not."

I do feel it as a lifestyle, both as a fashion style and way-to-live. But the persona is just a for fun thing. For those who've roleplayed (such as myself) and LARPed, Ive grown accustom to having a "character/persona". But all in all, why not, steampunk is what you make of it. :) 

I have been trying to think of a persona for myself. Ive been going between a few ideas. I love to make accessories. I have been working on a steamy boutonniere. Maybe something along the lines of a jeweller... Any suggestions would be wonderful!

--

Some men see things as they are and ask why.

Others dream things that never were and ask why not.

-George Bernard Shaw

www.flickr.com/photos/tincankittens/

September 8, 2010 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Raiffe

Roleplaying vs. lifestyle is certainly a personal choice. For me, an avid roleplayer for 30 years (damn I feel old just typing that) and a LARPer and SCAdian to boot personas just naturally develop over time with the garb. A persona may not be as formal as a full name and fleshed out background, but at the very least a profession or archetype helps to provide inspiration for your garb and accessories. Even if you never use the same theme twice.

Miss Genevieve -- if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion... make your persona/theme unique in some way -- you will stand out in the crowd and it will give you endless hours of entertainment should you be inspired to explore the history and skills your persona might know. A jeweller sounds like a wonderful start to an exploration of Victorian trends and fashion, let alone possibly making your own rings and necklaces (I know Mohawk College had a short silversmithing night class at one point -- my Mum took it). If taking joy in researching history and learning new things doesn't qualify as a 'steampunk lifestyle' then I don't know what does!  ;)

--

"I know it's crooked, but it's the only game in town."

-- 'Canada Bill' Jones, legendary nineteenth-century Three-card Monte dealer commenting on a rigged faro game.

September 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Miss.Genevieve

Raiffe at September 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Roleplaying vs. lifestyle is certainly a personal choice. For me, an avid roleplayer for 30 years (damn I feel old just typing that) and a LARPer and SCAdian to boot personas just naturally develop over time with the garb. A persona may not be as formal as a full name and fleshed out background, but at the very least a profession or archetype helps to provide inspiration for your garb and accessories. Even if you never use the same theme twice.

Miss Genevieve -- if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion... make your persona/theme unique in some way -- you will stand out in the crowd and it will give you endless hours of entertainment should you be inspired to explore the history and skills your persona might know. A jeweller sounds like a wonderful start to an exploration of Victorian trends and fashion, let alone possibly making your own rings and necklaces (I know Mohawk College had a short silversmithing night class at one point -- my Mum took it). If taking joy in researching history and learning new things doesn't qualify as a 'steampunk lifestyle' then I don't know what does!  ;)

My dear Raffie, I thank you for your suggestion.

Ive been checking out Mohawks parttime courses and I've seen that one over and over again. Along with making jewelery, I am also a sewer by trade (my mothers passion passed down to me). So I have a need to create like any artist has. I am thinking I will have my persona in the artisan business, now it is all about the research!

--

Some men see things as they are and ask why.

Others dream things that never were and ask why not.

-George Bernard Shaw

www.flickr.com/photos/tincankittens/

September 9, 2010 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Runa

There are psychologists who would argue that in real life (by whatever definition), we are constantly trying on new personas as we change societal roles or deal with life changes. I have always tried to make any persona I use an extension of myself. I am of Icelandic decent making me both physically and mentally strong so every character I have portrayed (outside of a pre-written stage play) have been also capable beings. My interests include sewing, crafts, writing, adventuring, magic, spirituality, outdoor recreation, philosophy, education, and art. Using whichever one of my interests is pushing me the most as part of a persona allows me to shoot two birds with one rifle shot. As already mentioned, access to clothing and props makes choice of persona easier. To start out this exciting journey onto steampunk, I have decided that I am going to be a simple dressmaker/designer who moonlights as a fortune-teller/medium. This allows me leeway in my clothing and gives me a potential to earn the odd bit of extra money at events.

September 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vokhev

I am new to steampunk. I just started my first costume which I hope to wear forconventions, gatherings and probably LARPs. But I must admit that the conceptof "persona" that I often hear about leaves me perplex.

Don’t get me wrong, I'm very comfortable playing a character. I've done it steadily forthe last 20 years (damn I'm old too!) for tabletop role playing, e-mail-basedrole playing, LARPs and amateur movies. In my office, I have pictures of myselfas a cyberpunk technician, a medieval farmer, an armor-clad warrior, a priest,a necromancer, a post-apocalyptic survivor, a klingon, a Scottish bard and afew other things. Hell! I learned Japanese partly to play an Asian monk in aLARP!

So developing characters is as natural to me as it seems to be for Raife. But, like PhoenixArtemis Black, I wonder: If you're not role playing, why a persona? I can understandthat you'd want to have at least a vague idea for the costume's sake. An airshipengineer costume and a duchess costume will be quite different. But why the wholestory?

A lot of people not familiar with LARPs think that we LARPers actually believe we are mages,elves, orcs or whatnot simply because, when we play, we really get into it. Butcontrarily to what some people believe, when the game is over, we come back tothe real world (well, most of us). So I have a hard time seeing the relevanceof a persona if it's not for role playing.

I'm not saying it's stupid or anything like that. I just don’t understand. Actually, ifsomeone can explain it to me, I'd be glad :)

To answer Kelly's original question, yes, I have a persona that I hope to use in asteampunk LARP and for which I'm making my costume. But I'm still creating itso it is far from complete. Actually, I usually prefer to leave a lot of thingto be developed in-game for my characters. So I pretty much only have aconcept. I don’t event have a name yet.

He's going to be somewhere between the rich gentleman and the classic inventor. He wouldbe the guy who invents "modern" thing but not by working in a dirty workshopand ending up full of grease. He would get the brilliant idea, surround himselfwith the right people to perfect it and develop it as a project involving many people.Kind of like the owners of the big shipyards if they had been designing theships themselves. He will definitely see modern advancements as an opportunityto better mankind (or his country depending on the tangent I choose).

October 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vokhev

Sorry about the missing spaces. There seems to have been a problem with my copy/paste from word...

October 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

Most people make up personas/stories for the fun of it and nothing more.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

October 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

William Dio

I am very fascinated by the concept of personas but never really put much thought into making one of my own. As a scriptwriter/director, I spend a lot of time creating "personas" for others, however and am very familiar with them. It seems to me that personas are a somewhat recent phenomenon. A subconscious reaction to the rise of the television in the 80s (I know it was there before... I just feel like it really took a life of it's own in the 80s), maybe... A particular fancy to tell other not who and what we are but what we might have been had things been different. This being said, now that I think about it, the name I wear on the web comes from a character I created many years ago: Count William Dio. He was somehow based (or rather inspired) by the Baron Münchhausen... And so maybe I do have a persona without realizing it...

--

"There are so many wanabee heroes out there that the market is saturated. Here, at the UVA (Universal Villain Association), we strive very hard to make sure that all of them have a job to do. It really is a community service, you see..."

-William Dio on the subject of the hero/villain relationship

October 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mdm. McCoy

I don't have a persona so much as a history.  Actually "Mdm McCoy" is but one of many "histories" I have, being a SCAdian for 21 years now (Off and on).  So in fact *I* stay the same person as I am in my mundane life - adventurer and scholar

Anyway, Mdm McCoy is named for Elijah"the Real" McCoy, inventor of the lubricating cup for steam engines.  I like the irony of that. At the moment Mdm McCoy is taking tea with Madame Sadayakko. 

When she has the time she hope to develop a world aesthetic to her steampunk (sepia photographs were often handpainted) and dreams of building her steampunk library complete with volumes of steampunk erotica.

--

Mdm. McCoy
Adventuress
-----------------------------------------------

http://www.kristinemaitland.ca

October 22, 2010 at 12:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.