Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Steampunk Canada Meet & Greet: Toronto 2010

Kelly

This has also been posted over here (http://steampunk.ning.com/group/steampunkcanada/forum/topics/meet-and-greet-2010-toronto) for any Steampunk Empire members!

A get together for Canadian steampunks is currently in the works. Right now I am just wondering who might be interested in coming, and once I have a rough number we will try to decide on a weekend.

All the below information is copy and pasted from the original thread on the Steampunk Empire;

"So first and foremost, we need to know who would want to come to the meet and greet this summer, and this will control to some degree what sorts of things we will be able to do.

Secondly, if you know the area, what are some things you think might be fun for us to do? Or if you aren't from around here, you can always do some research if you would like and tell us some of the things that you would be interested in doing, steamy or not.

Have you always wanted to see the C.N. tower? We can definitely go up there if enough people are interested!

Do you have a preference for when it is? July or August, obviously, would be our two options.

Lastly, garb/costumes? Yes/no? Sometimes? ;)

I spent last night pulling together a list of things that I thought some of you might be interested in doing, and places you might like to go. Give me your input! Do you like the idea? Do you not like the idea? Are you on a budget? I want to try to make this work for everyone! :D

High Park

Recognized a s one ofthe most significant natural sites within the City of Toronto.For $4 a person we can take a tour of the park on the trackless train, and the find a nice place to sit outside for a picnic lunch.

Kensington Market, St. Lawrence Market, & Gadabout Vintage

The St. Lawrence & Kensington markets are the two majour markets in Toronto. The St. Lawrence is a Victorian building that once served as city hall. These days the South Market has over 50 specialtyvendors offering all manner of foods, as well as unique non-food

items for sale.

Kensington Market is a vibrant and diverse neighbourhood indowntown Toronto. The market is an older neighbourhood and one of the city's most

well-known, and in 2006, it became a national historic site. There are many eclectic and interesting stores to look at here, and if we need a break there are plenty of cafes here where we can just sit and chat over tea.

Finally, Gadabout is an amazing repository for all that is vintage. Gadabouthouses an extensive collection of vintage clothing, accessories, and

fabrics including household textiles, blankets and rugs. In addition,

the store carries ephemera, nostalgia and curios. Clothing dates from the late 1800s through the 1970s and is in amazing condition.

Casa Loma

The former home of Sir HenryPellatt, the castle is complete with decorated suites,

secret passages,

an 800-foot tunnel, towers, stables, and beautiful 5-acre

estate gardens.

CN Tower

Need I say much here?For around $25 a person we can see the glass floor, and go all the way up to the observation tower.

The Distillery Historic District

Founded in 1832 by Brothers-in-lawWilliam Gooderham and James Worts, the Gooderham and Worts

Distillery

eventually became the largest distillery in the British empire.

Set on

13 acres in downtown Toronto, the forty plus buildings constitute

the

largest and best preserved collection of Victorian Industrial

Architecture

in North America. The Distillery District is a national historic

site.

Queen's Park

This place is home to many examples of fine Victorian Architecture, but it seems as though we would have to call in and specifically get ourselves a permit to be allowed on the grounds. It might be more effort than it's worth :P

Lastly, the Royal Ontario Museum, the Art Gallery of Ontario, and the Science Centre are all also possibilities, is anyone would be interested."

March 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Amelia Beale

Personally, I'd love to attend a meet & greet in Toronto (in 'costume' or not). My vote's for High Park (picnic lunch sounds devine) or the Distillery Historic District.

One small question on behalf of those who drive: for each of these places, what types of car facilities are there? ie. paid or free parking, walking distance, etc. This might dictate (depending on numbers) where we could meet.

--

Amelia Beale

Jewelry Artisan for Neverwares Emporium

March 16, 2010 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly

For day one, I am thinking that we should be able to dedicate that day to getting to know one another. We can meet and chat for a while before taking the tour of the park on the train, and then we can stop to eat before taking a nice walk around the park. We can end the day at one of the cafes in the area.

There is free parking within High Park from 6am to 1pm.

The second day we can try to make it to the CN Tower (cost is $25 per person) as well as the Art Gallery of Ontario ($18 per person), and then we can end the day off at Kensington market before stopping to chat over coffee, tea, etc. at one of the many cafes there.

Casa Loma is also relatively close by, if anyone was interested in going. It's $18.00 per person.

There is parking all over the place in these areas- though none of it is free, as far as I am aware.

March 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly

I've tried to lay out approximately where we will be each of the two days.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/Ebillan/meetngreet.jpg
High Park is marked with blue on the left hand side of the map, for day 1.

Everything marked in green is what we will be aiming to do for day two, and then Casa Loma is marked in orange, for those who wish to visit it. Union station is marked in yellow, for those taking a bus in to Toronto.

March 16, 2010 at 3:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly

And I've just added the Distillery Historic District to the map (in white), which I completely forgot about until just now. I am beginning to reconsider day two.

After the CN Tower we might just head over to the Distillery District, depending on what everyone else thinks. There are art galleries within the district that we could visit instead of heading back to the Art Gallery of Ontario, there are places to shop, and it looks like an amazing place to take group photos. We might be able to spend the entire day there.

http://www.thedistillerydistrictphotos.com/

March 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

I agree that less travelling and spending more time in one area is a good idea.

March 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nicoletta

I would desperately love to attend this, but July is a wash for me.  August is much better.  I've never been to High Park, but have heard wonderful things.  Personally, I would want to do it in costume, but I think it should be optional.

March 17, 2010 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly

After speaking with everyone over at the Steampunk Empire, we decided that the best date to have the get-together would be the weekend of July 24th.

We will be at High Park on Saturday, and on the Sunday we will be going to the C.N. Tower (so long as enough people want to see it), the St. Lawrence Antique Market, and the Distillery Historic District. All that I believe is left to decide is what times we should meet either day? I can decide the exact place for everyone if that is alright, and I will make sure to be there early; it shouldn't be too hard for you guys to spot the 6 foot 2 girl in steampunk garb, should it? :D

And I'm sorry if the date doesn't work for you, Nicoletta. I've been doing my very best to try to make sure that as many people as possible can attend. Perhaps you can still make it, though? It would be great if you could come :)

March 18, 2010 at 12:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nicoletta

Actually, the 24th is the one weekend in July I AM free.  I'll be exhausted from all my other events and poor as hell, but I'll do my absolute best to be there.  :)

And don't worry about it either way.  With so many people you can never fit in everyone's schedule.

March 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly

Oh, that's great! :D
Well, for the day in High Park the only cost should be the $4 for the train tour, and so far I have been unable to find any mention of a cost for the Colborne Lodge museum.

The second day the only cost would be if you decide to see the C.N. Tower, but if not then it's just if you decide to buy anything at the market, or in the Distillery District~

March 18, 2010 at 10:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Elias Maphisto

I looked at the map, so for people who are staying in hotels the best idea would be to book in around of where most of the stuff taking place, one of my choices for places to stay is O.3 km from the CN tower, does that work for everyone? or should I be looking at place in a different area, any Idea's?

March 24, 2010 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kelly

Alright- everything is worked out, and over on the Empire I've started an event page, so if anyone here has an account there, could you please RSVP so that we have some idea of how many people are going to show up?
All the information about the meet can also be found there.

http://steampunk.ning.com/events/meet-and-greet-2010-toronto

March 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

You can now find out more information here as well

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106216722748547&ref=nf

April 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

Bad news - Just received a $1000 dentistry estimate for our 10 year old dog Ted and it needs to be done in the next two months...So very sadly I will not be able to attend our first Meet and Greet.  I look forward to the next being in Ottawa and will welcome you all to our fair Capital.

April 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mdm. McCoy

Kelly at March 18, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Oh, that's great! :D
Well, for the day in High Park the only cost should be the $4 for the train tour, and so far I have been unable to find any mention of a cost for the Colborne Lodge museum.

The second day the only cost would be if you decide to see the C.N. Tower, but if not then it's just if you decide to buy anything at the market, or in the Distillery District~

You can find the times and prices fo Colborne Lodge here.

http://www.toronto.ca/culture/museums/colborne-lodge.htm

It's about $6.  Luckily for me, I live in the 'hood, just north of the park.

--

Mdm. McCoy
Adventuress
-----------------------------------------------

http://www.kristinemaitland.ca

June 16, 2010 at 7:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jacob Tesla Scott

Love the park, used to live just up the road at Keele and Eglinton.  Look forward to seeing you all there, (though I might be a little tired after a 12hr shift).

--
June 23, 2010 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

Do have a wonderful time! I so wish I could be there.  Please take many photos everyone and post them so we can all share in the fun.

July 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

Would someone be so kind as to give us a detailed account of your weekend.  What did you do?  Any good explosions?

August 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Whirligig

I went to the second day - CN Tower first, and met with Kelly and the intrepid traveller Elias Mephisto and his amazing bag of... stuff.  We took a walk with a bird's eye view of the town and the cool breezes of altitude on that unpleasantly hot day.

Thence to the distillery, where my shameful lack of appropriate attire lead me to remain out of frame while photographing 'the gang'.  Pics are up in the Steampunk Canada Photo Gallery under "Distillery Outing".  It is my hope that others will add their photos to the gallery as my photographic equipment was by far the least impressive on the day.  Mostly it was a photo-op outing but I got a chance to meet some of the members and get a sense of the group, which was fun.

We three who'd met at the tower then went to Kensington Market to take in an Army Surplus shop and street music - and me without my hurdy-gurdy.  It is my sincere hope that for future outings I can be properly equipped, but a pauper's wages don't afford a lot of fancy dress.  Sigh.  Meanwhile I just hope to meet more of you and get more ideas about how to properly steampunk.

--

"Times have changed, and we've often rewound the clocks..."  - Cole Porter

August 9, 2010 at 10:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.