Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > Vancouver Island Steampunks > Victoria Steam Expo

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

Canada's First Steampunk Exhibition at the Empress Hotel May 22-23, Victoria BC

The Victoria Steam Exposition opens its doors at the Empress Hotel, May22-23.  This two day event includes workshops, seminars, readings from some of the top authors in the genre, film screenings, art exhibits,and even a cabaret burlesque.

Steampunk is a literary genre that combines futurism with a 19th century aesthetic: submarines, zeppelins,  spaceships and rayguns, hand-crafted in leather and brass and teak. Pioneered by authors such as HG Wells and Jules Verne, the steampunk torch was picked up in the1980s and now includes the visual and performing arts, music, fashion,and film.

Headlining the event is Seattle author Cherie Priest, who's novel "Boneshaker" has been nominated for the two top honours in science fiction: the Hugo and Nebula awards.  The Steam Expo is also hostingTennessee author Nick Valentino, author of  "Thomas Riley".  Film guests include Ryan Copple, creator of  "Riese", the highly acclaimed web video series recently licensed by the SyFy Channel, and Matthew Long, director of the short film "The Anachronism".  The main prop of this film, a six metre tall robotic squid, will make an appearance at the Victoria Steam Expo.

Tickets for the weekend event are $40, which includes admission to the Saturday night Steampunk Cabaret, featuring burlesque queen Miss Rosie Bitts and San Francisco cellist Unwoman.  The show also hosts several vendors, so attendees can shop for the perfect pocket watch, corset, or airship goggles.

"We're thrilled to hold this show at the Empress", says show producer Jordan Stratford. "It's the perfect venue from which to launch an expedition to find dinosaurs on a lost island. Victoria's bones are built on steampunk – the entire city was architected on British Imperial lines, looking forward.  Amor de Cosmos [BC's second Premier],as a futurist, would have loved this."

For more information please contact the show's producers at jordan@jordanstratford.com, or visit the event's website at

http://victoriasteamexpo.com/

April 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mizdarlin

Sorry I missed this..as a Vancouver island member, can i get advance notification of whatever is happening in the South or Central Island area?

September 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mortimer Van-Wyke

Oh, I can't beleive i missed this! in all honesty, I never even heard it was happening. I liev very close, too...

If it's happening gaian the next year, I'll be there for sure!

August 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

It is happening again.  I'll be posting more information very soon, but for now you can go to their website....  Victoria Steam Expo

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

August 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mortimer Van-Wyke

Thanks~

Also, so many spelling mistakes in that post. My bad, ha ha...

August 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.