Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > The Time Machine: Hamilton Victorian and Steampunk Society > Steampunk Crews?

Miss.Genevieve

Hello all,

I have been seeing these "crews" or groups of steam-y indiviuals that dress together, have a back story, etc. Who else has seen these and what do you make of them? Are there any "crews" in the Steel Town? If so how did it all start?

Any replies will be appreciated.

turrah!

--

Some men see things as they are and ask why.

Others dream things that never were and ask why not.

-George Bernard Shaw

www.flickr.com/photos/tincankittens/

September 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Raiffe

The core of the Hamilton Steampunk participants are a group of friends who first met through a LARP 11 years ago. Although we're all good friends I don't think that any of us have formed a 'crew' as you describe it. By and large our 'personas' aren't that formal. Unlike my gamber persona my second persona, Commodore Strachan, is fleshed out and I was planning to recruit my wife and a friend or two to act as crew for a day, but it certainly wouldn't be a 'permanent' arrangement. Of course that doesn't mean that you couldn't try to recruit us for a 'crew' of your own, especially as a one off for a particular event.   :)

--

"I know it's crooked, but it's the only game in town."

-- 'Canada Bill' Jones, legendary nineteenth-century Three-card Monte dealer commenting on a rigged faro game.

September 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jha Goh

Usually crews get together because they've been friends for a while, that I know of (I'm thinking Steam Century and Wandering Legion). They often have some sort of goal too! Like they're an RPG group, or run events, or something ^^

--

http://www.jhameia.com/

http://silver-goggles.blogspot.com/

September 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Raiffe

As much as I'm (really) enjoying the image of myself dressed as a villain surrounded by my 'crew' of ladies in true 'Wild Wild West' style might I make a suggestion... how about an all-women's crew? There now seems to be at least three ladies roughly in the Hamilton area new to steampunk and looking to find and make friends with the potential to recruit more as time goes on. That sounds like an excellent basis for a 'crew' to me!

Imagine a mixture of devil-may-care pirates and con-women out to show the men how it's done and strip the gilded palaces of Europe bare... or a thinktank of dedicated and brilliant scientific minds gathered in mutual respect as they set out to turn the establishment on its head with their discoveries and inventions! The possibilities for your 'crew' are only limited by your mutual interests and personas, and you don't always have to have the same theme event after event.

Just a thought,

Raiffe.

--

"I know it's crooked, but it's the only game in town."

-- 'Canada Bill' Jones, legendary nineteenth-century Three-card Monte dealer commenting on a rigged faro game.

September 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.