Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > Questions > Steampunk in Winter

trisdihdzere

Thats a pretty open question. I'm just wondering what I could do so I could still be steampunk themed but protected against the saskatchewan cold.

--

Let the wind blow over and sing

November 17, 2010 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alice Sunshine

For me its flowy shirts with a corset type belt, some awesome boots, and jewelry.

November 17, 2010 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Roger
You might take a look at the photographic evidence from Shackleton's, and also Scott's, expeditions to the South Pole. They occurred between 1900 and 1910 or so, which is a bit late, but it still might offer some inspiration. Cheers, Roger
November 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

by the same token Roger, one should look at ww1/2 winter gear. In fact, I personally think those sheepskin wool lined pilot's jackets just scream steampunk, not to mention peacoats and woolen trench coats. Like real trench coats.

November 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phoenix Artemis Black

I'm getting a Victorian winter cape made. But you can never go wrong with many, many layers. Undershirt -> shirt -> corset or vest -> coat -> overcoat.

--

The Mistress Of Black Steam

November 18, 2010 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

I have a wool cape and it's invaluable in the cold.  I agree with Phoenix too, lots of layers is a very good idea.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

November 19, 2010 at 6:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Isabel

Both men and women in the Victorian era wore woolen shawls over both coats and capes. Some were triangular and some rectanglar, both with fringes. 

Also a lot of coats had short capes attached under the collar. They were often removable [buttoned on] and stopped about the elbow to mid forearm. Look at an out back or drover's oiled coat for an example to copy. The dandies of the era [fashionable youth] would have as many capes added in layers to their coats as a fashion statement.  Up to twelve have be referrenced in period books.

A nice muffler [scarf] is also a good item to add to your wardrobe.

--

November 19, 2010 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

trisdihdzere

wow, thanks everyone! will be looking into designs :)

--

Let the wind blow over and sing

November 19, 2010 at 11:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Minerva Li

A nice, good quality wool coat is always stylish and timeless.

--

The Renfield Trading Company - Serving the Undead Since 2010.  http://www.TheRenfieldTradingCompany.com

http://www.GothicBeauty.com

http://www.DressUpandDuel.com

November 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anne Lauren

I really like Ellita's work on Etsy, most especially since I crochet too and have been trying my hand some similar designs! Her capes and collars are the perfect addition to any outfit. Coupled with long gloves and hip length capes, jaunty faux caps and matching mufflers are my ideal winter accompaniment.

January 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain H.M. Hooke

Nothing says steampunk like a good solid Inverness Jacket. Just the thing to wear over the old frock coat.

January 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aulenback

And as winter once again approaches, of course, remember that woolen trousers, waistcoat, and coat could easily complement your woolen overcoat and hat.  Wool cloth seems to have been quite common in clothes until quite recently.  Warm when it is cold, cool when it is hot.

Me?  I wear a top-of-the-boot-length navy pea-coat [a long "bridge coat", as those are usually only thigh length these days].  Actually, with the epaulettes, I suppose it would be called a "reefer" today. 

Mine is Canadian Second War surplus, but you can see a similar, German design in the photo at the Dresden Bundeswehrmuseum: http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/images/wiki/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Bundeswehrmuseum_Dresden_19.jpg/180px-Bundeswehrmuseum_Dresden_19.jpg

September 28, 2011 at 7:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Oxonian

Also, Scrooge-worthy scarf! The more homemade, the better, but there are some lovely numbers ready for purchase as well!

October 3, 2011 at 2:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

My youngest just had me buy her a pea coat. She'd been wanting one for quite some time. 

As for knitting a scarf.  Dead easy... and you just keep going and going until it's as long as you want it.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

October 4, 2011 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aulenback

For any looking to build themselves a pea coat [or "reefer coat"], there's a fine period pattern for free over at The Costumer's Manifesto from an 1898 publication:

http://www.costumes.org/HISTORY/100pages/1898cuttersguide9a.htm

I won't hunt up a pattern for scarves [grins].

October 6, 2011 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aulenback

Captain H.M. Hooke at January 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Nothing says steampunk like a good solid Inverness Jacket. Just the thing to wear over the old frock coat.

And of course, for the military minded [or those who, like European civilians during the 1800s, often mimicked military fashion in their civilian wear], the Boat Cloak [or Watch Cloak for you landsmen].

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/object.cfm?ID=UNI0232

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/requestHandlers/doQuickSearch.cfm?searchterm=%22boat+cloak%22&x=25&y=8

October 6, 2011 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Isabel

I'll be contributing a pattern to the next Dominion Dispatch for how to make a Victorian style muff. Great way to keep your hands warm even over gloves.

--

October 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doctor Rina Von Elrick

believe it or not, i scored a great winter coat at walmart. Its knee length and wool. very warm, the downside, the inside lining is lepord print lol. regardless, its a great coat and i only spent 35 bucks! also, try the thrift stores, im always finding vintage coats, dresses, shirts and accessories. good place to look for any antiques too :) but antiques wont keep you warm! also, when in doubt, add a corset to it! corsets finish any outfit <3

--

The Doctor Is In..

December 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr. Etherial

Good heavy 16oz eight yard wool kilt and an Inverness cape.

December 12, 2011 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Necrisha

Isabel at October 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I'll be contributing a pattern to the next Dominion Dispatch for how to make a Victorian style muff. Great way to keep your hands warm even over gloves.

Oh, Excelent! I already tend to buy my coats to have longer sleeves so I can stuff my hands (gloved & all) inside as a better way of keeping them warm. A good muff design would be incredibly usefull.

February 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.