Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Steampunk everyday

Vokhev

I work in an office where I often meet clients so I can't really wear a top hat or goggles. But I still like to wear something at least a little bit steampunk. I usually wear the ring from Catherinette Rings I bought at CNSE and I lately finished my cell phone case which I made with a steampunkish style.

Do you have other ideas of steampunk stuff that can be worn pretty much everywhere?

--

Baron Celsius Von Fahrenheit

July 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

loving it sir!  Quite a striking case.  I might have sewn along the edges of the flap, purely decorative of course.

Since the Con I've found myself with a good reason to dapper it up at work.  When the weather won't melt me, I'm usually in a vest and my pocket watch.

--

July 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vokhev

Yeah, I initially intended to have the wire much more prominent but, as it turns out, gold wire intended for making necklaces is notoriously difficult to sew with ;)

--

Baron Celsius Von Fahrenheit

July 25, 2011 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

have you considered  a thread?  Possibly the sort used to make friendship bracelets (wow, welcome to my youth lol).  Its a little thicker, stands out well enough, and comes in a variety of colours.

--

July 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Isabel

For metallic thread [most are a colour matched polyester core with coloured metal wrapped over] check your local sewing centre. Thread however will be much finer than the wire unless you use about 6 strands at a time.

For other options check out a company called Brafasco. They have actual stores and on line ordering. They carry all kinds of industrial fastners, nuts, bolts, rivets etc. in various metals. I have bought many a hundred brass rivets from them for armour making.

--

July 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Elf

Other 'steampunk' things one can wear every day:

- vests. Get a variety in various fabrics/colours... cogs can make great buttons, by the by. And brass buttons are always in style.

- Your tie. Get a thicker/wider tie and make sure the knot is a full windsor. Solid colours, geometric patterns [particularly stripes] and paisley are all good.

- Shirts. Get those with french cuffs so you can wear cufflinks. There are a LOT of steampunky cufflinks to be found.

-Instead of shoes, wear either shoes with spats or boots. Ankle boots are period. Riding boots... well, some offices frown on them.

- Suspenders. Particularly the button style. Sure, you may have to remove the belt loops and sew buttons into your slacks but... it's still the dapper way to go.

Me... I DO wear steampunk every day [though lately I've taken a break just 'cause].

--

August 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gold_Ring

My steampunk jewelry is always acceptable at work.  I love my skeleton keys and pocket watch necklaces.

August 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Oxonian

I find it interesting that so much of what forms the basis of the s.p. aesthetic (displaced brass gears aside) is a general tendency to dress well, and avoid the schlorb look that pervades so much of  modern fashion culture. What? Trousers that sit at the waist?? Brocade? Wool/Silk blends?? Subdued, pleasing colours? What innovation! What mad genius!

This fall I'm taking a bold step, and teaching my students how to sew on buttons and hem a skirt, so they have no further excuse for walking around looking like imbeciles... I'm an English teacher, teaching basic home garment repair. Is this odd?

August 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Creighton Burrows -Advocate for Expeditious Physical Prowess

A flat cap circa1800, you know the ones with the oversized top which can be pulled over one side can be worn on any occasion, except swiming. 

August 15, 2011 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Creighton Burrows -Advocate for Expeditious Physical Prowess

Don't where goggles when palying sport as your peripherall vission is limited.  Unless you are swimming :) then they are a must.

August 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Phoenix Artemis Black

Actually, I would wear my goggles at work when I had to cut onions. (Working in a restaurant, in the kitchen.)

--

The Mistress Of Black Steam

August 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aulenback

"This fall I'm taking a bold step, and teaching my students how to sew"

And of course, that oh-so-antiquated and "quaint" concept, tailoring.  As an historical reenactor, one of the most obvious differences between "then" and "now" [really, "pre-1960s" and "post-1960s"], is having clothes that actually fit.  Yes, there are broad differences such as fewer outfits and more linens, such as deliberately contrasting patterns, such as overall shape and style.  But really, just learning how to adjust the fit of your clothes so that they... fit... makes all the difference in the world.

And is apparently "old fashioned."

September 1, 2011 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mortimer Van-Wyke

I tend to wear my suspenders and circle lensed glasses just about everywhere.

...Though I do need those glasses to read.

In my opnion, one can get away with wearing one or two steampunk pieces to work, such as jewelry, as long as they don't go everboard and all out with it.

What would I know,though? I don't work with people, so I can get away with wearing whatever I please, heh heh...

--

~Proud keeper of the Steam-Powered Mortuary~

September 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MCB

I wore a handlebar moustache for awhile.

I'd shaved it off, but I'm working on a new one silimar to the one below!

In colder months, I tend to wear vests although the ones I wear are run of the mill Carhartt zippered ones.  I've been trying to find someone that makes comparable vests of the same durability that button, but havn't had much luck, unfortunately.

September 20, 2011 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Antiquarius

Being self employed has its advantages with regards to "everyday steampunk". Because I work in an antique shop, on any given day I will be wearing a waistcoat, over a suitable shirt, topped by my brown bowler. Jeans with Frye boots tie up the look nicely and provide a practical work outfit that is comfortable throughout the day. As for accessories, I always carry my 1895 Waltham pocket watch with gold chain and T-bar in my waistcoat with my pince nez glasses. I often wear tinted round specs when out of doors. If I want to go all out, I have period type trousers and suspenders but find this sometimes challenging if you have to "bail out" quickly....my fellow gents, you will know what I mean when you come to that realization that the suspenders are under your waistcoat!!

All in all, I have fun with it and have in many ways made it (steampunk) a part of my everyday attire.

June 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.