Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Steam Fleet

Merlyn

Some friends and I are attending the Calgary Comic expo at the end of the month, and naturally the first thing that cam eto mind is what costumes to go with.  There are at least six of us going, so we decided on a group costume.  After some brainstorming the winning idea was Steam Fleet (steam punk Star Trek).  We are not the first to attempt this, but we are having fun preparing none-the-less.  Most of my costume will be clothing that I have acquired over time, but with some added props to add character.  And that leads me to the badges that I built for us.  Custom Steam Fleet badges!

[IMG]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/CLOTHAR/P32400552.jpg[/IMG]

I built the original from craft foam, cardboard and plastic from a yogurt container.  Using the original, a friend and I built a silicone mold of the piece.  And with the mold we were able to crank out numerous badges in almost no time at all.  I also cast magnets directly into the pieces for attachment purposes.  Using a 1.5" washer they can "stick" on clothes problem free.  Add a little paint and viola.

[IMG]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/CLOTHAR/P3240055.jpg[/IMG]

The rest of my costume is still a work in progress, but I am very happy with how the badges turned out.  Are there any other Steam Fleeter's out there?

April 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

Not my cup of tea personally, more a Steam Wars crossover fan if I had to pick.  That said, those command badges are lovely, excellent work.

--

April 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Erin Latimer

Oh, Steam Wars. Love it. I have to say I'm more that way inclined as well.  Merlyn, I'm super jealous of you though, I've always wanted to go to a comic expo or something like that. I just moved from Victoria and miss it terribly. I went to the steampunk expo there last year and now I can't go this year. Wishing we'd moved to Calgary at this point.

April 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

where did you move to that is so devoid of cons Erin?

--

April 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

Thanks for the comments.  Cons are meant to be travelled to!  My first was DragonCon last summer down in Atlanta!  It was well worth the journey.  I saw a steampunk Boba Fett there (among others) that was amazing.  I am open to Steam Wars as well, Steam Fleet just fit our group idea better.

April 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

I'd agree that cons are a great destination for a great journey.  I'm hoping to make the drive from Toronto to Halifax this year for HalCon. 

--

April 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vokhev

Love the badges. I've never actually done a steam trek costume but I've been thinking about it. But, since I would have based it on TNG, it would have been quite different. Can't wait to see the rest.

--

Baron Celsius Von Fahrenheit

April 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Erin Latimer

I moved to Grande Prairie, Alberta. I'm having trouble finding a writer's group even, never mind a steampunk one. I suppose I could travel to one, but the idea of going by myself is a bit daunting, and I don't know anyone here yet. Hmmm...

April 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

The rest of the costume is coming along.  I should have goggle sin a few days, then I will try get some more pictures.

Erin - it can be hard finding groups in smaller centers.  Even in Saskatoon I have yet to find anyone beyond my current group of friends who know anythign about steampunk.  Cons could be daunting on their own, but it is uaually pretty easy to make friends.  Good luck in your hunt.

April 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Erin Latimer

That's true! I find Steampunks are usually pretty darn friendly. :)

April 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

The Calgary Expo is fast approaching.  My costume is all ready, minus props; but those are coming along.  I did up a set of binoculars that I bought from Dollarama.  Replaced the rubber grips and replaced them with foam that I painted to  (somewhat) look like leather.  Then I attached a brass rod that I wrapped in an actual leather strap. So now the binoculars are similar to victorian theater glasses.  I think they turned out all right for how speedily I put it all together.  

[IMG]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/CLOTHAR/Steam%20Fleet/IMG_4287.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/CLOTHAR/Steam%20Fleet/IMG_4286.jpg[/IMG]

I am also trying to build a little 'pocket welder'.  As I am a red shirt I am going as an engineer (not security), so I figured a welder and some wrenches would be my key tools.  The welder is also built of bits from dollarama, and used containers I had around my place.  I would say I am about 85% done, I just need to finish all the hose rigging, then do touch up painting.

[IMG]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/CLOTHAR/Steam%20Fleet/IMG_4272.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/CLOTHAR/Steam%20Fleet/IMG_4277.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/CLOTHAR/Steam%20Fleet/IMG_4279.jpg[/IMG]

Feedback is always appreciated.  I hope to meet any of you who may be at the Calgary Expo next weekend!

Cheers,

April 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

So it has been months since the Calgary expo, and our Steam Fleet expedition; but life got busy and stayed busy since then.  This is very delayed, but here are a few pictures of our group.  The costumes turned out well, and we all had a good time wearing them.  Hard to get group pictures though, as the expo was packed!

September 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

You all look fantastic!  What a great idea.  What are the Fleet badges made of. It's hard to tell from the photo - they look like wood.  I'm guessing they are supposed to be brass or copper?

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

October 1, 2012 at 7:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

Thanks Lee Ann!  The badges are actually cast in resin, and hand painted.  Here is some closer detail:

October 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

Heh. SteamTrek. Not the first ST adaptation. StoneTrek was hilariously well done.

The adventurous nature of the original series would adapt well to an Earth only airship floot, traveling to vast distant and strange lands.

--

Note: Looking to buy Headrobots Snake (Cobra Commander) and other things. Check out my thread. Shepp's Buy/Sell/Trade thread 

October 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

your steam fleet stuff looks great!  Awesome job.

--

October 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

Thanks Stuart!  In the future I would like to learn how to sew, as I think that could improve my costuming abilities.

October 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

Merlyn at October 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Thanks Lee Ann!  The badges are actually cast in resin, and hand painted.  Here is some closer detail:

They look great. Well done!  I hope the whole crew were happy with them.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

October 3, 2012 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

Thanks Lee Ann.  The crew were pleased!  They also double as great fridge magnets, haha.

October 3, 2012 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.