Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Why do we do what we do?

Rosewind

Hello!

I am new to the community and I would love to dive right in but I have some questions which make me pause.

Is there more to Steampunk than a substantial wardrobe commitment?What does the community support/ stand for? I love the ascetic but I really would like to hear from the community what keeps you going?

Any and all comments are graciously encouraged.

July 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Erin Latimer

Well personally in day to day life I like to think about applying the "punk" part. It's about turning your back on social normalities. That's just what it means to me anyway. For a lot of people, steampunk is a doorway to experience different lives, live as different people, though I don't personally have a character. Also, it's damn good literature. Expressed that as best I could, though I'm sure someone else will have a better answer for you. I'm still pretty new as well!

--

Steampunk blog: http://www.thepunkettes.com/

Personal blog: http://www.museslibrary.blogspot.ca/

July 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PM

I've never thought of steampunk as standing for something (in the way, say, that a political movement would, with a list of beliefs or goals that define the group). Mind you, there are those who do take a very political view of steampunk.

It seems to me more like a somewhat nebulous group of people interested in various aspects of Victorian & neoVictorian culture. For some, their interests concentrate on the fashions of that period, or on modern re-interpretations of those fashions. There have been lots of similar historical revivals over the years; the Victorians themselves began with neoclassicism and finished with an enthusiasm for neoGothicism / neomediaevalism. For others, it is Victorian literature, or contemporary literature that is set in, or influenced by, the Victorian age (or imaginary extrapolations & alternatives of that age). And of course there are people interested in crafts inspired by the era, or by modern steampunk versions of the era. Some like the manners of the time, or the technology, or the idea of fanciful Victorian-style machines that never really existed.

If there's a unifying theme, it's a connexion with the Victorian, and perhaps also a sense of dissatisfaction with the blandness of modernity, similar to the Victorians' motivation for taking something that would otherwise be boring and functional, like a railway platform, and making it practically into a Gothic cathedral. Perhaps that has to do with the idea that science and art are not mutually exclusive, and that beauty involves more than glass & steel boxes.

All that aside, steampunk is also about having fun.

--

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Sent from the analytical engine of
www.PaulMarlowe.com

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

July 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

There are those who use steampunk as a means and a method to encourage recycling/repurposing, learning about history or invention, or even equal rights, but most people just enjoy the literature, movies, art, fashion, gadgets and the ability to get creative and have fun (as PM said very well above).

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

July 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Emile de Valois

For me, Sterampunk is the glue that holds everything I like together and makes sense of it........

--

A Votre Service

Emile de Valois

July 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Redhawk

For me, while the wardrobe IS an important aspect of Steampunk, it's also the freedom of adding/accesorizing.  Best thing is, it doesn't have to cost you a fortune, either!  Most of the outfits my husband and I have came from Value Village, so it wasn't outlandishly expensive to do.  Yes, it took many trips, but eventually we found what we wanted/needed.

I also have an artistic side to me, which is given free-rein in my accessories.  Some I wear on on everyday basis (pins and such) and others are reserved for get-togethers, such as my weapons.  

It's a way to keep me and my over-active imagination out of trouble. :)

--

Ms Christaline

Bold and daring adventurer, so long as my back doesn't go out.

July 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jimimckee

I believe that steampunk encompasses art deco, steam age,and a side order of startreck, bringing into the present  all of our creativity  that is influensed by an age that built the insides of the past. For those of us that have an insatiable thurst to create its an outlet for the steam to escape. I have always taught that art is like a pyramid.  Each block in different fields develop your taste. The more you diversify the higher the pyramid gets . All of a sudden you reach a plateau where all of your creativity makes sense no matter where it takes you. The only problem is you are stuck with a brain that cant stop. I would give anything to sleep. Dont open the bottomless can of creativity unless you are willing to live with the consequences....

--
July 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon

A good idea to get started would be to read as many Jules Verne books as you can, or watch the moving pictures that have been made upon the aforementiond writings. Also watch Wild Wild West (the movie, not nessesarily the series) and the 3rd installment of "Back to the Future", all of the "Buck Rogers and Flash ordon films,  and pre-StarTrek sci-fi shows (Amazon Women From Mars, Metropolis, La Voyage Dans La Lune, The Day The Earth Stood Still,  Invasion of the Body Snatcher, War of The Worlds (Original ones from the 50's are best, in my Humble opinion)

--

I think, Therefore I am......  I think,.:

July 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon

As for fashion,Nothing beats shows like "My Fair Lady" (1964), "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" or the likes of
"The Crimson Petel and The White" or "Gangs Of New York"

--

I think, Therefore I am......  I think,.:

July 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosewind

The breadth of responses really helps illustrate how naive my originalquestion is. For me, I think it is a response to modern fashion norms. Lookingfor clothing which look good and tasteful on a woman's figure instead of agirl's has become quite the task in this day and age. I yearn for a time whencurves were beautiful and desirable. I also have always wanted to be a 'Lady'.Sleek, noble, elegant, all things which are very hard to do with our modernfashion templates.

Also, does anyone know if there are any long term health problems towearing a corset pretty much daily? I understand the problems with it beinglaced too tightly, but does a loose, comfort lacing still have the same healthconcerns?

Related note: Anyone know of a corsetiere who could be commissionedfor less than two full weeks of pay?

July 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michel R. Vaillancourt

If you'd like to read my (lengthy) take on what Steampunk is "about", pop over to my blog site and check out this post.  I've been told by several folks it's their favorite definition.

--

Regards,

--Michel Vaillancourt

Author of "The Sauder Diaries"

about.me/michel.vaillancourt

August 1, 2012 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

I always saw Steampunk as a throwback to when science and adventure were paramount. Back in the 19th, and at the turn of the 20th century, there was a great surge in a number of things. Human flight, electricity, difference and analytical engines, the idea of an alien invasion, the idea of time travel, and a huge number of things.

A world where we thought anything was possible, given enough time and scientific advancement. Even the moon was within reach.

Another interesting thing happened, fictional stories seemed to be incorporating heroes that were smart instead of solely noble or rich or strong.

It was a time before mass manufacturing, where if you needed something, and were smart enough (and had enough capital) you could make and accomplish something yourself. Ideas were fresh because many things were brand new. But most of all, because of science, it seemed that things that at were once magical or miraculous could be harnessed and reproduced.

It was a time when quality was paramount. You didn't simply make a steam engine, you made a steam engine that would outlive you. That way you wouldn't have to tinker with it and fix it and adjust it all the time

--

Note: Looking to buy Headrobots Snake (Cobra Commander) and other things. Check out my thread. Shepp's Buy/Sell/Trade thread 

September 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.