Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Goggles, overdone?

Erin Latimer

Hello! I recently came across a steampunk forum were they were discussing the fashion. Quite a few of them were sneering at those who wear goggles (and I quote "tiny top hats") they decreed it was done to death, and hinted that you weren't "truly steampunk" unless you could get more creative then this. I find myself disappointed at the semi-hostile attitude, especially towards people who are maybe just getting into it and just discovering the "tiny top hats". What are your views on goggles? Overdone? Too "mainstream" now? I believe it got my goat a little because I hardly expected there to be so much judgement amongst the community.

--

Steampunk blog: http://www.thepunkettes.com/

Personal blog: http://www.museslibrary.blogspot.ca/

July 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PM

There are always some who want to set themselves up as arbiters of whatever they're interested in, and who dictate to everyone else what they must or mustn't do to win approval. They tend to be the most vocal, and so they seem more prominent than the (probably far more numerous) people who take a more laid-back, laissez faire attitude towards such things. I tend to take the attitude that the more pushy and domineering someone is, the less I value their opinion.

--

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Sent from the analytical engine of
www.PaulMarlowe.com

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

July 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

Erin, PM has said it very well.  There are no rules to fashion in steampunk and if you like tiny top hats (I've made one and still love it) and goggles (don't have a pair) then it is no one's busy but your own.  It is all about experimenting, using your imagination and having fun.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

July 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DVSDuncan

Yes.  The goggles are a little silly at times and so are the tiny top hats.  That is fine by me.  Steampunk should be a little silly, a little whimsical and very playful.  That is not to say that it cannot also be very serious.  It has great potential for social commentary and political action. It is therefore a pity that, with so much potential for both fun and positive change, some folks feel the necessity to focus on unproductive rules.

By all means, wear your goggles and your tiny top hat.  Have fun.  The next time someone tells you that you are not doing it right, ask to see their copy of the official rule book.

July 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Redhawk

I love goggles!  I have seen some that were so intricate they have left me breathless!

And lets face it, it's kind of hard to be flying around in your dirigible or biplane without them...

--

Ms Christaline

Bold and daring adventurer, so long as my back doesn't go out.

July 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon

Just remember that "Steampunk" is a compound word, the "Steam" part of it comes from the Edwardian/Victorian Era, when steam-powered mechanisms were being invented, and imagination ran rampant. The second part,"Punk" indicates a refusal to bend to authority and a penchant for making one's own rules.  Please do not lose your imagination or the desire to follow your own path. But above all, have some fun while doing so.

--

I think, Therefore I am......  I think,.:

July 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michel R. Vaillancourt

My usual response to someone snarking about somone else's costume is to ask -them- what thier personae is and why they dress as they do.  And then ask them if they've asked the other person the same question.

... it usually ends this discussion rather rapidly.

--

Regards,

--Michel Vaillancourt

Author of "The Sauder Diaries"

about.me/michel.vaillancourt

August 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Erin Latimer

Good to know! Thanks guys! It's a relief to hear that most steampunks aren't like that!

--

Steampunk blog: http://www.thepunkettes.com/

Personal blog: http://www.museslibrary.blogspot.ca/

August 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Otto von Messerschmitt

Such snobbery! I vood die for a goot pair off goggles!

August 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon

Yes, my Germanic friend. a decent pair of Goggles has more than aesthetic value. The good Lord only gave us one pair. we must protect them with Goggles (Or Brille as your ancestors may call them. ואַסער - ברילן... by any other name.

--

August 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon

. One must have a good set for travelling, as it is counterproductive to recieve a hot cinder from the firebox in one's eye. Also,Air Kraken have been known to emit a highly acidic ink, which could result in a nasty infection if spread to the optic regions. Caution is foremost. God speed

August 13, 2012 at 2:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sarah-Anne Green

I love googles!!!!! :lol:

As well, are top hats (perhaps larger ones) and googles not part of the foundation which is Steampunk? 

--

Moo :)

August 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon

I believe fun, Fellowship, Deep joy and adventure are the goals of Steampunk. And none of this could be accomplished without a sense of fashion, comeraderie, a strict observance of morals, ethics and a respect for tea-time.  More Darjeeling, anyone?

Seriously,  would Miss Manners consider the disrespect of a fellow Steampunk  enthusiast's choice of hat, or goggles, or style to be acceptable? We must be respectful of others' choices even if one's own tastes differ. As has been said before, I do not agree with your fashion choices, but will defend to the death your right to embarass yourself by them.

--

August 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee Ann Farruga
Site Owner

Sarah-Anne googles and top hats are known items in many a steampunk's wardrobe, but are definitely not essential and not a foundation of steampunk. Be Splendid and have fun are more common foundations of steampunk.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

August 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

I'd say hats in general are a big part of a Steampunker's wardrobe, providing they're non-baseball cap style. A hat can easily define a persona, or simply accessorize it.

Take a clean-shaven guy wearing plain pants and no glasses in a gray trench coat. Add a smaller rimmed fedora and he's a pulp-era detective. Simply add a moustache and he's Inspector Cluseau. Or slip a "press" notice into the hat's band and he's a pulp era reporter.  Add a larger rimmed fedora and he's Inspector Gadget. Add a bowler hat and he's Inspector Space-Time.

In those cases, the hat makes the person's costume have a specific personality.

Same can be said about goggles or other eyewear.

Anyways, any hobby has varying levels. Take Transformers for example, there are fans who disacknowledge everything that wasn't in the first 3 episodes of the 1980s cartoon. Now that's hardcore. And also an extreme case of elitism. Some froth at the mouth with rage whenever anyone mentions the movies. There will always be individuals like that. Personally, I don't think it matters much.

As for the tiny hats, I never really saw them as hats themselves, but more like a woman's decorative hair piece, similar to a barette or scrunchie. Unless its green and made of plastic. Then its just St. Pattie's day.

--

Note: Looking to buy Headrobots Snake (Cobra Commander) and other things. Check out my thread. Shepp's Buy/Sell/Trade thread 

September 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon

{not that there is anything wrong with the wearing of the green on St. Patricks}

But all kidding aside, the #1 reason this genre exists, is because of great imagination and a flair for the creative.

--

October 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JosCan

I truly appreciated this post/replies, as a newbie it sure helps when you are creating your first outfit. Steampunk 101 summarized. Glad to have joined.

October 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

Just remember: The goggles. They do nothing.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-goggles-do-nothing

Haha.

--

Note: Looking to buy Headrobots Snake (Cobra Commander) and other things. Check out my thread. Shepp's Buy/Sell/Trade thread 

October 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.