Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Looking for inspiration

Tizera

Hello all. I'm new here and new to steampunk, although it has always interested me. But now I really would like ot delve into the culture of steampunk, meet new people and get creative.

September 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

Glad you could join us Tizera.  There is certainly lots to see here.  If you have any questions, everyone is very pleasant and willing to help out.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

October 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tizera

I will be going to the Edmonton Comic Expo http://edmontonexpo.com/ on Oct. 20-21! I want to go steampunk style, especially since I won't be able to do Halloween this year :( Does anyone have any ideas, since I'm new to this, and know of any stores that I could find corsets for a reasonable price in Edmonton?

October 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

Not sure of the edmonton steam scene.  The con itself should have some good vendors if you don't find anything before then.

October 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tizera

I need to learn to sew aswell haha

October 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Merlyn

Yes, sewing could be very useful.  It is on my to-do list as well.

October 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tizera

My first attempt at mucking something together. PHOTO

October 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

Tizera. I fixed the link to your photo.  It had gone a little wonky.

Looks good.  The feathers are confusing me though. Is it a necklace or a for your hair?  Either way it still works, but I just can't tell from the photo.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

October 5, 2012 at 7:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tizera

Thanks! I was sturggling with that stupid link for about 15 minutes before I gave up.

It is for my hair. It's all on a hair clip. Still haven't found any gears to work with in town :/

October 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Herenya Wilkey

Depending on what type of look you are going for, Dracula Clothing has some very nice corsets for reasonable prices. They ship from England and are made to order. You really should check out their website. They also have a chart on there that shows you how to measure for your corset size. It is very important to measure right and get a corset that fits. Corsets that are too big or too small will cause all sorts of discomforts!

Steamunkish componets for art and jewelry are everywhere! You just have to know how to look. Of course an internet search will bring up all kinds of gears and what not for sale, but lots of shops will have usefull things where ever you go as well. Try checking out thrift stores for cheap jewelry you can disassemble. That's a good way to get chains and brass coated beads. Hardware stores also have a plethora of possibilities, whether it be thick wire, little copper pipes or all those other strange plumbing doodads. I've noticed that a lot of art stores are now selling imitation vintage things like fake keys and gears. These are a little on the pricey side, but might be good to start out with so you don't feel like you are ruining the old good stuff with your new expirements.

Try whatever works best for you and find your own style. Best of luck!

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

www.facebook.com/ventricles.apart.crafts

www.etsy.com/shop/VentriclesApart

ventriclesapartcrafts.wordpress.com/

October 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.