Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Typewriter fans?

Herenya Wilkey

Hello all, I collect typewriters. I have sixteen at the moment and I was hoping to connect with any other typewriter fans on here. I love them! I NEVER take them apart though. I feel it is wrong to destroy such a beautiful piece of machinery that is becoming rarer and rarer as time goes by. Thoughts? Pics?

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

www.facebook.com/ventricles.apart.crafts

www.etsy.com/shop/VentriclesApart

ventriclesapartcrafts.wordpress.com/

October 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

AntiqueTypewriters his name is Martin.  He had a display last year at the CNSE, amazing typewriters.

--

October 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee A. Farruga
Site Owner

Stuart I added the link to get there directly.  I agree - amazing typewriters. Martin Howard has the largest and most gorgeous typewriter collection in Canada.  Definitely have a look.

--

Canadian Queen of Steampunk. Founder of Steampunk Canada.

October 12, 2012 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Herenya Wilkey

Okay, thank you!

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

October 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

I still visit his site from time to time, there are a few typewriters that just make me salivate.  Such interesting lines, odd design sensibilities, aboslutely beautiful.  I like the "Steampunk laptops" I see online, but I'd love to make a replica of some of those typewriters for an ipad or other tablet.

--

October 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PM

I don't use a typewriter for writing (publishers generally want electronic files these days, not carbon copies), but I did write a story involving a spirit-communication typewriter (called the pneumotypograph in the story) which, mechanically at least, was based on an early typewriter called the "Hansen Writing Ball". The keypad of the pneumotypograph also appears in the poster for the radio play version of the story: http://paulmarlowe.com/pm/rm.htm

--

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Sent from the analytical engine of
www.PaulMarlowe.com

October 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

Typewriters are awesome. Never had one though. That device brought the "printing press" to the masses and allowed the general population to create standardized text that looked pretty decent and legible.

As for taking them apart, go for it. Just do it carefully and make sure to put it back together the right way once you've cleaned and oiled its innards. Since they're mechanical, they will need some TLC from time to time. Or so I'm told.

--

Note: Looking to buy Headrobots Snake (Cobra Commander) and other things. Check out my thread. Shepp's Buy/Sell/Trade thread 

October 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Herenya Wilkey

Stuart, they are quite cool. Sorta takes the portability of those devices away though. The picture on my laptop just died so I have to hook it up to a moniter and since the portability of that is already gone,I'd love to get a typewriter keyboard for it.

PM, Oh I love  Hansen Writing Balls! They have such a neat compact design. OO I'm listening to the radio broadcast right now. I say! It's golly good!

Shepp, I meant that I don't destoy them to make jewelry. I'm not sure I trust myself enough to take them apart for cleaning. I'll have to take them to someone who knows what they are doing.

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

October 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

well Herenya, if you are handy, there are all sorts of tutorials to make a keyboard with typewriter buttons.

I'm thinking more of a docking station, built out of an old Oliver 2.  You leave that at your home, when you get there, plug the tablet into a slot, boom, keyboard interface, charger, stand, but it looks like a typewriter.  Probably easier to do with an android based tablet but still.

fyi, the Olver 2 is, by far, the coolest typewriter ever.  I love the arched hammers and all that, so sexy

--

October 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

There's enough already destroyed ones in junkyards and unserviceable ones in second hand stores like value village and the salvation army. Harvest accessory parts from those ones.

--

Note: Looking to buy Headrobots Snake (Cobra Commander) and other things. Check out my thread. Shepp's Buy/Sell/Trade thread 

October 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Herenya Wilkey

I'm really not very good with electronics. I doubt I could assemble something like that myself. I'd probably also need a little more patience than I usually possess on any given day.

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

October 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Herenya Wilkey

Surprisingly, all of the typewriters that I have found at second hand stores have been in fantastic condition! I have sixteen working typewriters at the moment and more then half were aquired form second hand shops. The others were gifts and one I bought out of the back of a car in a parking lot.

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

October 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jedediah Solomon

I just get a kick out of watching someone using a word Processor after years of using an old Underwood, needing a 3/4" throw and strong, sure thrusts. Of course, they usually need to replace their keyboards after a year or so.

--

I think, Therefore I am......  I think,.:

October 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Herenya Wilkey

I keep finding word processors everywhere! But they are a bit too modern to interest me.

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

October 17, 2012 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stuart

Here's a typewriter usb mod kit for a variety of typewriters.  Exactly what I was thinking about

--

November 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

Ha, that'd make for interesting calls to tech support.

"Now I need you to press CTRL, ALT, and then the windows key."

"Umm.... I can't find them on my keyboard."

And then I can just imagine playing Bioshock on a Typewriter. Brilliantly awesome!

--

November 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PM

I hope the usb typewriters still go "ding!" at the end of each line. That's what's missing from writing on computers...

--

Sent from the analytical engine of
www.PaulMarlowe.com

November 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Erin Latimer

I badly want a type writer. I can remember my mother writing on one when I was really little, very strange when I think of it now. I can never seem to find one at a thrift store, and when I do it costs an arm and a leg, and I just bought that corset.....and that top hat....and....sigh.

--

Steampunk blog: http://www.thepunkettes.com/

Personal blog: http://www.museslibrary.blogspot.ca/

November 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Herenya Wilkey

The only advice I can give you is to keep looking. I'm sure a good one will turn up at a thrift store eventually. Are they popular in your area? That would drive the prices up. I noticed that after I bought a few from my local thrift stores they started to become slightly more expensive.

They have a lot of seemingly fair priced ones online, but I've heard so many stories of them getting banged around and broken while being shipped. I'd only attempt that if I knew enough about them to fix it when it arrives or if I know some one that could do it for me.

I'd check out some yardsales too. The best places to find them cheaply are from people who think the are obsolete and/or worthless.

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

November 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.