Steampunk Canada

Tie up Your Dirigible and Visit for a Spell

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Something Old can be New Again

Brigadier Mobius Roswell

When Lee Ann Farruga posted her request for makers and inventors to contribute to the article - Canadian Makers, Tinkers and Inventors, I began racking my brain for ideas.

Operating my repair business, my health concerns and duties as a house-husband leaves me little time usually for my favorite hobby - Anything Steampunk. Still, I wondered, what could I contribute that would be unique, not already being done that could have Canadian steampunk content?

I finally remembered my mother drawing landscapes, dancers and surrealistic scenes. She then carved them into linoleum and printed them using oil paints. When dry, she hand colored each one using prismacolor pencils and watercolor washes.

The possibilities are endless!

Although my wood carving is not what it should be these days and my pen-and-ink days are long past, my skills carving lino are rusty but still there and I'm excited about the future of this endeavor.

I also realized in my design fervor that it is not my decision alone as to what constitutes Canadian Steampunk. Here is the logical place to post a request for ideas, concepts and art work to include in this first series of hasty-notes and post cards that are to be ours in content and subject.

All the contributors whos ideas, concepts and art work I utilise in the design of these post cards and hasty notes will certainly be given credit here and on their web site if they maintain one as I certainly can't hand carve everyone's name to print on the back.

I believe that with our growing membership, we could help society to 're-discover' one of it's better inventions - The unique personal communication between one individual and another known as the hasty-note.

October 16, 2012 at 3:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

My mother used to be insanely talented at a craft called Papertoll, which makes 3D art out of flad 2D images. By using several dozen prints of the same image, and cutting out portions and gluing layer after layer onto the base image or small cardstock framework to pop it out even more from the base image, the subject in the image pops to life.

There are two that really stand out in my mind, an image with two birds flittering along a branch (until I moved out I thought the branch was an actual branch and not paper), and another of a snow owl staring outward. Both looked real enough that my cat at the time often tried to attack the 3D image of the birds for years, and would never look at or be anywhere near the 3D image of the owl.

The best part is that the effect can range from making a photorealistic subject in full curved 3D all the way down to merely adding flat layers of depth (like a pop-up book).

That sort of thing would be perfectly applicable to this old ideas becoming new again. Mind you, this would be better suited to post cards and hasty notes to be framed rather than sent.

I think the best part about this is that it doesn't need any technology that wasn't available in the Victorian era (well, except for massive quantities of printing, and really detailed photos or paintings). Scissors, glue, pictures, and paintings were all available back then.

--

Note: Looking to buy Headrobots Snake (Cobra Commander) and other things. Check out my thread. Shepp's Buy/Sell/Trade thread 

October 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brigadier Mobius Roswell

My grandmother used to frame the ones she liked best in small ornate frames.

Although lino and not wood, printing is easy - the 'printing press' can be the back of a spoon.:)

October 20, 2012 at 1:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shepp

Brigadier Mobius Roswell at October 20, 2012 at 1:32 AM

My grandmother used to frame the ones she liked best in small ornate frames.

Although lino and not wood, printing is easy - the 'printing press' can be the back of a spoon.:)

Just be sure to clean the ink off before stirring tea with it.

--

Note: Looking to buy Headrobots Snake (Cobra Commander) and other things. Check out my thread. Shepp's Buy/Sell/Trade thread 

October 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Herenya Wilkey

I've tried my hand at carving rubber a few times to make stamps. I mostly like the results and it was easy to carve, but the floppyness of the rubber was a pain. I really need to try wood and linoleum.

--

Ventricles Apart Crafts

www.facebook.com/ventricles.apart.crafts

www.etsy.com/shop/VentriclesApart

ventriclesapartcrafts.wordpress.com/

October 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.